BlackBerry 10 – FIPS 140-2 Security Certification
Yes I’m a bit late posting this … almost every is considering the date of the information from various sources.
BlackBerrry & now BlackBerry 10 are THE ONLY Mobile platforms that support FIPS 140-2!
Achieving FIPS 140-2 certification means that BlackBerry 10 is ready to meet the strict security requirements of government agencies and enterprises at launch. What differentiates BlackBerry is that it is the only mobile solution that integrates end-to-end security, and includes certified encryption algorithms for data at rest and data in transit. No other mobile solution can claim this level of security today or in the near future.
Michael K. Brown, RIM Vice President of Security Product Management and Research
The Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) Publication 140-2, FIPS PUB 140-2, is a U.S. government computer security standard used to accredit cryptographic modules.
Its about TIME RIM began to trumpet where there strengths rely in enterprise. Personally I’d like to see how RIM can offer similar features behind a personally owned blog/site with media content for storing/uploading to authorized access. TO be honest I feel RIM would’ve offered something like this for consumers in a much better solution than what we see with Dropbox/Box.net.
Why does FIPS 140-2 certification matter?
Enterprises today are demanding more from their mobility solutions, including providing workers with access to sensitive enterprise data, behind-the-firewall mobile applications, and a variety of services accessed directly from a smartphone or tablet. With this increased level of access comes an increased level of risk. Our FIPS 140-2 certifications, in conjunction with the multitude of other security accreditations, provide IT managers with assurance that the risks surrounding data at rest and data in transit can be adequately managed using BlackBerry products. RIM introduced the first smartphone with a FIPS approved module to the mobile market, and since its inception, no other mobile solution has been awarded the same level and quantity of security accreditations granted to BlackBerry products.
Here are some other security accredations that RIM holds …
- CESG Approval – CESG Approval allows private sector company products to be used by the United Kingdom government and other organizations, when correctly configured.
- Common Criteria Evaluation Scheme – Common Criteria (ISO 15408) is a multinational security certification program that is recognized in 26 countries world wide.
- Government Approvals – Various BlackBerry products have been independently evaluated and verified for in-country specific needs by NATO, as well as the governments of New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the United States, Austria, Turkey, and others.
- Near Field Communication (NFC) Certifications – Some of the latest BlackBerry devices are the first mobile devices to achieve UICC (SIM card) certification for both MasterCard® and VISA®. Using NFC technology, these devices are now approved to be used like credit cards that are capable of using either MasterCard PayPass® or VISA payWave® payment terminals.
- NIST FIPS 140-2 – The FIPS 140-2 is part of the Cryptographic Module Validation Program National Institute of Standards and Technology (for US government) and the Communications Security Establishment (for Canadian government).